Yan is a photographer for GP.
- Q What album would you bring to a desert island with you?
- A Nah. I couldn't do it. No matter how good the album, I give it a week before I need more and start wondering about how well CDs float.
- Q The first concert you ever went to?
- A My Dad was always in bands when I was a kid so I've always had an easy copout 'cool' answer to this... But the first I went to of my own volition was Spice Girls in 1988.
- Q Most single most embarrassing album you ever bought?
- A I stand by all the terrible pop albums I owned that I'd never listen to anymore. I think it's stupid to be embarrassed by that. But I do regret buying Pantera's Vulgar Display of Power solely in the basis that a guy in my class said I wouldn't like it. I also regret how long it took me to admit he was right.
- Q If you could rob the vocal chord of any singer, who would it be?
- A I can barely even tell if someone's singing in key if I'm honest, so rather than pure vocal ability what I wish I had is the confidence to overcome my self consciousness and sing with the kind of emotional honesty and passion of John Darnielle or Dublin's own Stu Daly (not to say they're bad singers, just that I literally can't tell). Karaoke specialty: karaoke is not about singing well, it is about singing songs that are fun. So I usually look for Bonnie Tyler or Bon Jovi or, if I'm lucky, Sum 41. I do know all the words to The Best Ever Death Metal Band In Denton, but I've yet to find a karaoke place that has it.
- Q If you could erase one band from existence, who would it be?
- A I'm not gonna begrudge anyone their terrible taste in music (or take any cheap shots at Nickelback), so I dunno. Skrewdriver can fuck off, I guess.
- Q Out of all the venues in Ireland, where’s your favourite?
- A Whelan's, I guess? I dunno, Whelan's is grand but I don't have a lot of affection for any of them. There should be more house shows.
- Q Tell us something about you that people don’t know.
- A I often put a slight embarrassing amount of thought into what band tshirt I wear (which will be completely obscured by my camera bag) at the shows I go to.