Stephen is one of our Sub-Editors at GP. Stephen also directs video music shoots.
- Q What album would you bring to a deserted island with you?
- A The answer to this question has been 'Graceland' for so long that it's a force of habit at this stage. But yeah, 'Graceland', I suppose
- Q The first concert you ever went to?
- A Does 'Barney & Friends' count? If not, then it was Snoop Dogg in the 02 when I was about 15, chanting along to "fuck tha police", while my dad, a garda, hung around a few rows behind. I still consider this story to be a quintessential metaphor for hip-hop in Ireland.
- Q Single most embarrassing album you ever bought?
- A '7' by S Club 7 was the first album I bought, but it's only embarrassing in retrospect. I got a lot of pleasure out of that album. Same with 'Stripped' by Christina Aguilera. I mean it's not that embarrassing. The early 2000s were a pretty awful time for humanity generally.
- Q If you could rob the vocal chords of any singer, who would it be?
- A Sinatra, definitely. Whatever about his talents as an actor, when he sang he sounded massive and he could express more in a single note than most singers can in their entire careers.
- Q What song is your specialty at karaoke?
- A You Make Me Feel So Young. I have to say, I nailed it at the GP Christmas party.
- Q If you could erase one band from existence, who would it be?
- A Nobody immediately springs to mind. I think you need crap bands to appreciate the good ones all the more. There are a few bands I'd like to bring into existence. David Byrne's not returning my emails though.
- Q Out of all the venues in Ireland, where's your favourite?
- A Whelan's. Great music, sound staff, friendly patrons. If they sorted out their issues with O'Hara's and stocked 'er up again they'd be just perfect.
- Q Tell us something about you that people don't know.
- A If I've ever had a conversation with you, chances are I've plagiarised it for the autobiographical musical I'm writing, tentatively titled 'The Musical Adventures of an Unrepentant Attention Seeker' or something like that.