Ken presents 'Country to Rock' on 103.2 Dublin City FM and has dabbled in freelance journalism and other similar un-lucrative dark arts, but pays the bills with a day job in Recruitment. Tends to reviews a lot of, ahem, older music on the ever excellent Golden Plec website, but, hey, it's all good..
You can kill a man, but you can't kill an idea
- Q What album would you bring to a desert island with you?
- A It’s a toss-up between The White Album and Blonde on Blonde. The White Album wins the toss today!
- Q The first concert you ever went to?
- A Def Leppard, SFX Hall Dublin 1986. And, um, Def Leppard were also the second show I ever went to, a year later! I’ve since moved on a bit from just listening to hard rock. But Pyromania’s still a great album!
- Q Single most embarrassing album you ever bought?
- A Now That’s What I Call Music Vol One. But a bit of 80s nostalgia never killed anyone. It’s probably worth a few quid now, that piece of vinyl..
- Q What song is your speciality at Karaoke?
- A Never done it, probably never will, but surely If I Can Dream by Elvis is the best ever karaoke song?!
- Q If you could erase one band from existence who would it be?
- A I’d rather not get too negative, but some bands I consider a bit over-rated would include Kings of Leon and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Other than that, I like a huge amount of artists and most genres, except dance and most modern pop music.
- Q Out of all the venues in Ireland which is your favourite?
- A That’s a tough one. I love a good outdoor show on a summer’s evening, and I think the Three Arena is a stunning large indoor arena and the Bord Gais Energy Theatre has added a new dimension to Dublin’s venue offering for concerts and shows. I also have lots of great memories of Vicar Street, but hey, let’s get off the fence here - and ultimately the Olympia just ticks all the boxes, such a beautiful Victorian theatre with great sound and atmosphere.
- Q Tell us something about you that people don’t know
- A Let’s go for two things. I’ve been to an, ahem, very large number of Bob Dylan concerts and I like to run ultra-mountain-marathons. But very slowly!