THE GIVEN NOTE is a weekend of workshops, where the participants are both performers and composers. This is an opportunity for networking and sharing your own stories, taking back new skills and pieces to develop with your own choir. Its a unique workshop facilitated by composer Elaine Agnew and choral practitioner Alan Leech in the National Concert Hall. There is also a secondary event, the Dawn Chorus event on May 25th where choirs around Ireland are invited to take part with over 3,000 people taking part last year.
When? Saturday 10 May 3.30pm to 5.30pm, 7pm to 9pm and Sunday 11 May from 1pm to 3pm and then 4.30pm to 6.30pm
Venue: Kevin Barry Room, National Concert Hall, Earlsfort Terrace, Dublin 2
Who can participate?
a) Choir directors and conductors (who would have a level of musicianship)
b) Those who love music and love to sing (who wouldn’t necessarily have a high level of musicianship)
Number of Participants: The workshop will be for 30 people in total.
With Alan Leech, you will explore:
- Vocal production for the ageing voice
- Singing techniques
- Musicianship specifically for the choral singer, concentrating on inner hearing/and relating the aural to written/drawn cue, Repertoire: ‘Always look on the bright side of life’ and other selected pieces
- Music and technology – pointing the participants to other areas of self-exploration
Elaine Agnew will engage in
- Initial warm up’s and thinking about music construction
- Working with tuned percussion to gather music material
- Jointly composing our own choral piece using an already chosen text that carries a message of joy and hope
- This course consists of four two-hour sessions, taking place in the afternoon of Saturday 10th May and Sunday 11th May 2014
- Classes will in the Kevin Barry Room at The National Concert Hall, Earlsfort Tce, Dublin 2
- To ensure each participants benefit fully from the workshops numbers will be limited to 30
- Singers and conductors of all abilities are welcome
Course Fee: Includes all workshops and some light refreshments
Standard Fee: €50 with 10% reduction for group bookings
Application Form: http://bealtaine.com/sites/all/files/THE%20GIVEN%20NOTE%20application%20form.pdf and send to Liz Kelly at Age and Opportunity firstname.lastname@example.org